A group of friends

Saturday 12 March 2011
These tintypes fascinated me when I bought them. In many of the photographs from this early period, people look so serious, rather like the photographer told them not to smile. This group appear to be having fun, smiling, and look like the sort of people I would like to meet. They are reaching out of the past making my time travel much easier. I would love to know who they are (one man looks like an ancestor of the English actor Charles Dance).



I don't know all that much about Tintype photographs other than the fact that there is no negative as there is in photography with film. The image on the Tintype is a mirror image and rather dark. You can see the original scan of the six images below. In my "framed" adjusted images I have flipped them to make them appear like modern photographs, and lightened them.


Because there was no negative, I wonder if it was possible to make a copy print? Some of the Tintypes appear to be the same - how quickly could two images be taken by the photographer? If you know the answers please send me a message on this blog.



Here are scans of the original tintypes before I adjusted the brightness levels:



No comments

Powered by Blogger.